Sunday, December 14, 2008

Rab Ne Banadi Jodi

Go Watch it. I am surprised I am endorsing a Shah Rukh Khan movie myself. The last movie I liked was the Vishal Bharadwaj movie Omkara. So obviously I am going to explain why I liked Rab Ne.

Two reasons why I endorse it is Aditya Chopra and Anushka (the female lead). Shah Rukh is usual self. So does not stand out a whole lot. Its what you expect from him in every movie. Aditya Chopra can only make movies about love, family values and sacrifice. He is not a creep like Suaj Barjatya and also not as gay as Karan Johar. So he is the one with a likeable vision as a director. Since he can only make movies about love and sacrifice, coming up with stories is a tough job. I appreciate the fact that he tries to come up with different stories. Mohabbatein was an awful movie in which he had some idea in his head but came out jarring and too old fashioned. In this he managed to come up with a story that is different, not done previously and enough melodrama and self pity laced with humor. The way he brought it all together at the end was good, I mean the dialogues and the execution.

Anushka was very good. She is not that beautiful like some of the others but is a very good actor. Her smile is more heartfelt. I bet that was one of the things the director looked before signing her on. She fits the character very well. There was a scene on a motorcycle that was very good and thats the scene from when she starts to grow on you.

The music is good. The song haule haule is a good one and even a couple of the other ones are good. The one song which was a medley of old songs and rehash of old tunes was cleverly done. Now I have to go back and check out Salim Suleiman's other music.

After watching crap like Dhoom and others this is certainly refreshing.

No comments: